History: University History
The history of the University, from its beginnings to the latest RiverCenter project, is closely intertwined with that of the Columbus community. The idea for a junior college was first proposed by the Columbus Chamber of Commerce in 1949. In 1958 when the law provided for the establishment of junior colleges in Georgia, Columbus State University opened at the renovated Shannon Hosiery Mill with 15 faculty members and nearly 300 students.
A move to its present main campus location in north Columbus in 1963 ushered in a period of rapid expansion. By 1965, it had become a four-year institution. Master and specialist degrees were soon added. Community support continued and supplemented state funding to provide modern facilities and state-of-the-art equipment as well as expand its presence in the area with satellite installations:
Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center along the Chattahoochee River between downtown Columbus and Fort Benning, the CSU - Cocoa Cola Space Science Center, the Rankin Arts Center, and the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts which includes the CSU School of Music and the Music Conservatory (a community music school).